Oct 27, 2011

Soup-er Lizzie

One of my favorite lunch spots in Atlanta is Souper Jenny - Meghan always takes me there when I visit! Unfortunately we do not have an equivalent in Richmond - so I continued my Soup a week project and worked over time this week on two delicious concoctions...

1) Crockpot Tortilla Soup - I learned about it on pinterest (my cooking board is here..check it out!)

This was super easy as most crock pot recipes are (another favorite here) - you just throw in all of the ingredients and leave it on high for 6-7 hours "set it...and forget it" - my steps below -
Chop - Dump, Open - Dump

Keep Dumping the Cans
Add the raw chicken 
7 hours later - mmmm tortilla soup
The chicken is so tender at the end I just forked it and it fell apart - super delicious - we have been eating it this week with Tostitos - yummmm

The most difficult part was stepping over my sous chef George....he likes to lounge on the kitchen rug when I'm cooking....always hoping a scrap may drop his way....

My extra credit soup this week was Butternut Squash - my favorite fall/winter comfort food! So rich and delicious - I always check the Costco cold section for precut/skinned....it makes this one an easy recipe...


I forgot to take an after picture - but this is a staple in our house so I'll be sure to update on a later post.

Home Sweet Hanna Butternut Squash Soup:
- 2 LBs Butternut Squash (peeled/chopped)
- 2 TBS Unsalted Butter (or olive oil)
- 1 Large Sweet Onion
- 1 Quart chicken Stock
- 2 TBS Cinnamon (more if you like)
- Cayenne Pepper (add a little at a time till you get to desired spiciness)
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)

Brown the onion in your pot (I have been using my Le Creuset Dutch Oven) with butter or olive oil - add the squash, stock, and spices.  Bring the pot to a boil (you boil the squash similar to potatoes) - and cook till tender (about 15 minutes) uncovered...important because you need some of the liquid to evaporate.  Then comes the fun part - use my favorite kitchen tool (as mentioned here) the Immersion Blender to puree the squash mixture.  Let simmer on low for another 15 minutes - add spices to taste.....grab a spoon!

Next week - maybe Pumpkin Soup for Halloween?  Need to locate more pumpkin - the real stuff is hard to come by and I only have one can left in my pantry.  Will keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment