Aug 17, 2010

Adventures in Wonderland

"I wonder if I've been changed in the night? Let me think. Was I the same when I got up this morning? I almost think I can remember feeling a little different. But if I'm not the same, the next question is 'Who in the world am I?' Ah, that's the great puzzle!" - Adventures in Wonderland, Lewis Carroll
Right before the big move Brian and I were looking for an achievable design project in our fan apartment.  We are very lucky to have inherited Baba's (Ann Hamner - my grandmother) gorgeous antique dining room table and chairs.  All nine of the the chairs were sporting different retro fabrics - in order bring our table into the 21st century we decided to take on an apartment friendly re-upholstery project. 

We selected this beautiful Wonderland fabric that is reminiscent of Austrian Josef Frank's fabric designs (without the $200+ price tag).  Ours was around $12 a yard - what a steal!


The owners of my favorite discount fabric store UFab here in Richmond gave us tips to get the fabric as tight as possible - they recommended pinching the corners and working as a team to pull and staple simultaneously down the seam. 
UFab hooked us up with industrial scotch guard to protect from wear/tear and spilled wine!

Eight of the chairs chilling with their new fabric in our tiny apt hallway
I love how each chair is slightly different - but the set is cohesive and cheerful.  We had fun with this project and the chairs make for a bright and less serious/stuffy dining room don't you think?

New home - The Hanna House!
Check out another project with this fabric from High Heeled Foot In The Door.

3 comments:

  1. I was so behind on your blog until NOW! I LOVE your dining room and can't wait to see your home ASAP. XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just curious where you found it for $12/yard? I'm looking to buy some for curtains. Your chairs look great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Desiree, Found it for $12 a yard at a discount fabric store here in Richmond...U-Fab....I'll take you next time you are in town! xo

    ReplyDelete